If you or a family member is experiencing difficulty with communication or swallowing, the Speech Pathology Department at WellStar West Georgia Medical Center can provide improvement with a better quality of life.
The department provides services to hospital inpatient, outpatients, and residents of Florence Hand Home, Twin Fountains Home and Vernon Woods. Speech pathologists work with patients who have suffered speech impairments due to illness or injury. Brain tumors, head injuries, cancers of the throat or mouth and even surgery and radiation can cause speech difficulties.
Our speech pathology team analyzes each patient’s condition and then develops an individualized course of treatment. Treatments may include exercises, dietary recommendations, swallowing therapy and the prescription of assistance devices.
The Speech Pathology department offers a full range of services for infants/toddlers/preschoolers and school-age children. Some of the common problems evaluated and treated include articulation disorders (pronunciation problems), language delay, stuttering, and voice problems.
·Evaluation for speech-language and swallowing disorders for children and adults of all-ages
·Therapy, intervention, counseling, and caregiver training for the following problems:
1. Articulation disorders (pronunciation problems)
2. Language delay
3. Acquired language disorders due to stroke, head injury, dementia, or other central-nervous system based illnesses
5. Voice disorders including laryngectomy
6. Augmentative communication training
7. Swallowing (dysphagia) therapy
8. Cognitive-linguistic re-training
9. Accent/Dialect Modification
For more information, call (706) 845-3677.