Offering Advanced Treatment of Chronic Wounds
The Wound Care Center at WellStar West Georgia Medical Center provides specialized, comprehensive care for slow healing wounds.
Our specially trained staff members treat wounds that are slow to heal. There are many types of wounds that can damage the skin, including abrasions, pressure wounds, lacerations, rupture injuries, punctures and penetrating wounds. Others are caused by disease, such as diabetes.
Our staff is comprised of doctors, nurses and physical therapists who specialize in wound care for patients of all ages using advanced therapies and state-of-the-art technologies. Each patient is evaluation and given an individualized treatment plan.
Symptoms of a chronic wound:
- A wound that won’t heal for more than 30 days, especially if you also have diabetes.
- A wound that has increasing pain, drainage, odor or changes in the color.
- A surgical wound that has become infected.
What will happen during my first visit?
- We will examine you and ask you about your personal and family medical history so that we can develop a plan of care just for you.
- We will examine your wound.
- We might remove dead tissue in and around your wound.
- We will teach you how to care for your wound at home.
- We will schedule further testing, if it is needed.
- Increased pain at the wound site.
- New redness, blisters, or sores.
- Redness or swelling around the wound or spreading away from the wound.
- Foul odor coming from the wound.
- Any change in color or amount of drainage from the wound.
If you experience a major change in your wound outside of office hours, that becomes an emergency situation, please call 911.
For more information, call (706) 880-7366.